Help Centre » Had an accident » What is the Claims process following an accident?
What is the Claims process following an accident?
|When you take out your policy
- Check your statement of fact and make sure we hold accurate information about you, your drivers and your car. Your policy is based on the information you’ve told us, if any of it is wrong it could affect your cover.
- Understand what your cover is and familiarise yourself with the dashboard – it’s there to help you be a safer driver.
- Take a moment to check the excesses you have.Hint: An excess is the amount you will be required to pay if you have a claim. Your policy will include both compulsory excesses and voluntary excesses. Voluntary excesses are optional, and you can increase these to reduce the cost of your insurance, however they can quickly add up. Make sure you can afford to pay the excess you have agreed to.
- Understand your responsibilities if you have a claim. It’s your responsibility to inform us if you have a accident, regardless of whether you want to claim or not. There’s lots of information on the app to help you.
- The claim number is above, store it in your phone under A Carrot, that way it will be at the top of your address book if you need it quickly.
|If you have an accident
- Stay calm and get somewhere safe. If you can call us, do so straight away. We are happy to talk to people involved and gather the information we need – day or night.
- If you can’t call us at the scene, make it a priority to report the accident immediately afterwards.
- Take down contact details of all people involved, including any witnesses. We need their full name, address, phone number and car registration – even if it is a minor incident or those involved say they don’t want to claim.
- Make a note of how many people are in the cars involved and if anyone has been injured.
- Take pictures if you can of the cars and the scene of the accident.
|During the claim
- We will do everything we can to help you and send you information that you need to know; help us to help you and make sure you have read and understood it. It will help us settle the claim, repair your car and get you back on the road much faster.
- Remove all personal belongings from your car as soon as it is practical – and before the car is recovered.
- Send us any communication from the other parties insurer or documents we request as soon as possible.